Fathers Day Gift DIY
If your dad has everything he could possible need and there really is nothing else you can think of buying him then don’t. Then why not make him something like this “Fathers Day Gift DIY” that he will no doubt cherish for years. He can hang it in his home, his office or man cave.
- Red mahogany Wood stain
- Gray Acrylic Paint
- Printable Quote (Free downloadable click here)
- Decorative Scrap paper
- Metal Clip
- Latex Gloves
- Foam Brush
- Sand Paper (Find it in the scrap book section at any arts and crafts store like Michaels, A.C. Moore or the Hobby Lobby)
- 2 hooks for hanging
- Modpodge (Glue and Sealer)
- Gorilla Glue or Loctite
You’ll need to start off with your piece of wood which should measure: 13” long x 6 ½ “wide and at least 1” thick.
- Sand it thoroughly on all sides until nice and smooth, you wouldn’t want to give dad splinters with his gift 😉
***Move to a well ventilated area, preferably out doors for this next step.
- Use your cloth to stain your wood and be sure to put your latex gloves on for this part. Let it dry for at least an hour before moving on to step
4. Once you’ve given your wood stain time to dry, you can brush on the gray paint covering the entire surface. Make sure to let it dry before applying paint to the other side. Drying time should take about 15-20 minutes
5. Once the paint has dried completely you’re going to want to give it a distressed look by lightly sanding off the paint (front and back) so you can see some of the wood peeking through. Take off as much or as little as you’d like. You can’t mess this up.
6. Apply a thin layer of mod podge onto the back side of your dad quote and attach to your wood. Smooth out the air bubbles using a clean and dry cloth
7. Apply a thin layer of mod podge onto your strip of scrap book paper and attach it vertically onto the right side of the wood. Smooth out any air bubbles using a clean and dry cloth. For your strip of Scrap book paper why not use one with a print Dad Quoteof something Dad likes, like fishes for a fisherman, Golf Balls, sports etc… to personalize it even further 🙂
8. In about 20 minutes after attaching your quote and strip you’ll seal your work by brushing on a layer or two of the mod podge over your entire surface. Let it dry before giving it another coat.
9. Once the modpodge has dried completely (for a surface this size, I usually give it about 30 minutes to dry) Go ahead and attach your Clip slightly over lapping the strip of scrap book paper using a ¾ inch screw. HOWEVER, if you do not have a screw, you can always use a heavy duty glue like “Gorilla Glue” OR “Loctite” to attach your clip.
Now find a perfect picture to include with your gift and you are done!!
Enjoy, be creative and have fun with this project. Personalize it the way you want it, for example by:
- Printing a different quote you found online either for Dad, Grandpa, Uncle etc…
- Using a different wood stain color
- Using dads favorite color instead of gray
Don’t forget to sign up to our monthly newsletter for our latest projects and DIYs, to enter our giveaways and receive a 15% off coupon code for any item on our shop.
If you tried this DIY send us your pictures, you just might be featured in one of our newsletters J
Until next time, Happy Crafting!