Nautical Cast-Iron Anchor and Frame
Are you a Navy veteran? Are you into Nautical themes? Well, this DIY might be just the project for you. Here’s a fun way to display your navy and nautical pride, by making a Nautical Sign Display.
We decided to display a wall-mounted, cast-iron coat hanger, on a 1/2″ piece of plywood, and framed it with a stylish rope-looking moulding. We then hung the frame utilizing two sawtooth hangers. Continue reading below for step by step instructions on how to build your own in under an hour.
- 1/2″ plywood measuring 6 x 9″
- 3″ inches of moulding
- Cast-iron anchor (search online stores like Amazon or local hobby and craft stores)
- 1/2″ or 5/8″ finishing nails (brad nails)
- 1/2″ or 3/4″ screws (to mount the anchor)
- Saw-tooth picture hangars
- Circular Saw or table saw (to cut plywood to size)
- Handsaw (to miter the 45-degree angles on the moulding)
- Screw driver
- Wood glue
- Painter’s tape
- White paint
- Blue paint
- Stain color of choice (we used Min-Wax Early American)
Step 1 Cut a piece of plywood into 8-1/2×11
- Purchase a piece of plywood at your local Home Improvement or Arts and Crafts Store. Using a circular saw or table saw, cut the plywood to size
Step 2 Draw Vertical Stripes
- Using a pencil or your painter’s tape, measure and draw vertical stripes on the plywood.
- Paint the white stripes, remove the tape.
- Paint the blue stripes, remove the tape
Step 3 Cut the moulding
- Using your saw, miter 45-degree angles on your pieces of moulding. You will need two pieces measuring 10″, and two pieces measuring 8″.
Step 4 Stain or paint the moulding
- Stain or paint the moulding to your color of preference
Step 5 Attach the pieces
- Using wood-glue, attach moulding to the frame and nail in place
- Screw cast-iron anchor with supplied screws. The screws should be between 1/2″ to 3/4″
- Nail the sawtooth picture hangers in the back of the frame
Having trouble locating the cast-iron anchor or want to create an alternative piece? Instead of using a cast-iron anchor you can draw an anchor or cut one out of felt.
- Purchase an 8×10 picture frame with fancy moulding
- Grab an 8-1/2 x 11 piece of card-stock paper, and cut it down to 8×10″
- Use a ruler or other straight edge and draw your stripes
- Paint the stripes alternating colors between white and blue
- Cut a piece of black felt paper in the shape of an anchor
- Once the paint dries on the background piece of card-stock paper, glue your anchor in the center of the piece
- Remove the stock picture (and maybe the glass) from your frame, and replace it with your anchor design
Just like that, you have a Nautical and Navy-inspired frame display!
Optionally, you may add two or three J-hooks by screwing them at the bottom of your picture frame. Now you can hang the frame by the door and use it as a custom key hanger. This makes a great gift for you or others.
Tell us what you think and share this with your friends by using the sharing buttons listed below.
Until next time,